City of Norwich NY Police logo

24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
Phone - (607) 334-2424 or Fax (607) 334-1217 | Department Patches?
To report an emergency, dial 911

Special Duty
Area Links
Maps and Directions
Contact Us!
City of Norwich NY
Fire Department, City of Norwich, NY
Citizen's Academy

Frequently Asked Questions

The Police of the City of Norwich get all sorts of questions from the people they serve. Some of the more commonly asked questions are listed here, in no particular order. If you don't see your question here, feel free to drop us a line and ask us about nearly anything. We are always available by e-mail for non-emergency questions. We will list these as time allows, and as long as they pertain to general topics, although there is no guarantee that your question will make the list.

Q: What about the U.S. flag? What's the right way to display it? What uses are okay for the flag?
A: Since this is a rather lengthy answer, we placed the answers on their own pages. For answers about how and when to display the US flag, go here, and for answers to questions on the proper usage and respect to show the US flag, please go here instead.

Q: Do you sell, trade or give away Department patches?
A: Sorry, but we are unable to send any patches. Please feel free to check out our virtual patches page. You may save a copy of these to your hard drive if you like.

Q: Where is the Police Department located?
A: 18 East Main St, directly west of the Norwich Post Office. For a detailed map, go here.

Q: How do I contact the Police Department?
A: In an emergency dial 911 from any phone within the City of Norwich, and you will reach the County Communications Center. This number applies for any emergency - police, fire, or emergency medical services (EMS).
For non-emergency calls requiring police assistance, call 334-2424.

Q: I dialed 911 to get some information and the receiving dispatcher told me to call another number, why?
A: The 911 number is only to be used for emergency situations. Call 911 when there is a life or death emergency that requires the immediate response of emergency service such as police, fire or ambulance. Always call 911 when there is a medical emergency or fire that requires the Norwich Fire Department to respond.

Q: Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?
A: The Police Department depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. The officer who takes your call will ask questions about the activity to determine its nature and ask for descriptions of the people involved. You may be asked if an officer or detective may contact you.

Q: We have a problem with speeders in our neighborhood. What can we do about it?
A: Call the Police Department and request that this area be placed on selective enforcement. Tell the officer the location and specific time of day. Descriptions of any vehicles can be helpful.

Q: Why do they ask so many questions when I call the police?
A: Receiving desk officers are trained to try to get as much information as possible to best determine the nature of the problem and its seriousness. On emergency calls, the dispatcher has already sent the information to a responding unit while asking additional questions.

Q: Can I make a police report over the telephone or does a police officer have to come to my house?
A: Some reports can be taken over the telephone. The receiving officer can determine if your report can be handled over the telephone or if it is necessary to have a police unit respond.

Q: What are the initials "P.O." in front of people's names?
A: The letters P.O. stand for Police Officer. Prior to 1992 officers of the Norwich Police were known as Patrolmen. The word patrolman was abbreviated "Ptlm". In an effort to remain "gender neutral" the term Police Officer is now used. Note that officers badges still have the wording "Patrolman" inscribed on them.

Q: How do I become a Police Officer?
A: All Norwich Police Officers are hired from a Civil Service Examination. Interested persons must make applications to take this exam. Applications are available at the Norwich City Civil Service Office, One City Plaza, Norwich, NY 13815.
(607)334-1235. Exams are given once per year, usually a Saturday in December.

home / special duty / history / frequently asked questions / patches information
links / maps / contact us / City Government / Fire Department / citizen's academy / Use of Force Policy

Go to the top of the page
18 East Main Street, Norwich, NY, 13815
©Copyright 2000-2011 City of Norwich NY Police. All rights reserved.
Problem with the site? Email the webmaster